Advice on car left by dead family member - LongLimbJim

How do I go about sorting out a car which has no owner but has been sat in a barn for nearly two years, with the same dead owner. Just recently found out that the V5 is still registered to my dead grandfather, if I contact the DVLA will there be any consequences for this?

Edited by LongLimbJim on 16/01/2021 at 22:31

Advice on car left by dead family member - ExA35Owner

Assuming you are the executor... advice I had from my solicitor was, sell it, provide covering letter to purchaser explaining you are the executor of the deceased registered keeper, send off seller's section of V5 to DVLA.

If you are not the executor, let the executor(s) handle it.

Advice on car left by dead family member - bathtub tom

I bought a car from the estate of a deceased. Letter from the solicitor confirming the right of the widow to sell it wasn't necessary. Just re-registered it in my name and had it for 9 years without a problem.

Advice on car left by dead family member - Bromptonaut

I bought a car from the estate of a deceased. Letter from the solicitor confirming the right of the widow to sell it wasn't necessary. Just re-registered it in my name and had it for 9 years without a problem.

The solicitor would have knowledge of the estate, whether or not there was a will etc. and if there was what went to the widow.

IIRC the law has changed quite recently but historically motor cars were chattels and passed to the widow on an intestacy.

Advice on car left by dead family member - Palcouk

Telling DVLA after someone dies - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Advice on car left by dead family member - Bromptonaut

Are your grandfather and the dead owner the same person?