various - Smoke Alarm - Ethan Edwards

Another Benefit of being at home is I had to change the battery in my smoke alarm. I actually took the time to look at it a bit closer than usual. Manufactured in May 2004. Replace May 2014. Oops my bad. It still worked great when I burnt toast etc so I never paid it much attention. Well nice new one via that seller named after a big river and Its now sorted. So my message to you guys is please go check your alarms expiry date now. I didn't even know they had a replacement date. Stay well.

various - Smoke Alarm - concrete

A timely warning Ethan. Last year our neighbours son was visiting and he visited her neighbours on both sides, which included us. He turned up the following day with brand new smoke detector alarms and CO2 alarms for us all. CO2 alarms for we all have wood burning stoves. I fitted these for everyone to replace and enhance fire and gas leakage safety precautions. The son is a high ranking fire officer in Australia and was concerned that our existing alarms may be not be up to current specification. He obtained the alarms from the local fire service. Who knew? Anyway we all feel considerably safer than previously and are now aware of the situation.

Cheers Concrete

various - Smoke Alarm - galileo

A timely warning Ethan. Last year our neighbours son was visiting and he visited her neighbours on both sides, which included us. He turned up the following day with brand new smoke detector alarms and CO2 alarms for us all. CO2 alarms for we all have wood burning stoves. I fitted these for everyone to replace and enhance fire and gas leakage safety precautions. The son is a high ranking fire officer in Australia and was concerned that our existing alarms may be not be up to current specification. He obtained the alarms from the local fire service. Who knew? Anyway we all feel considerably safer than previously and are now aware of the situation.

Cheers Concrete

Our eldest daughter works for the Fire Service, her job is fitting smoke alarms for elderly or vulnerable householders: right now she's working from home, preparing lists of people to visit when restrictions ease.

(Not wishing to be pedantic, Concrete, the danger from wood burning (or, indeed any fuel burning appliance) is CO, not CO2: CO is dangerous at far lower concentrations than CO2 and the alarms therefore detect CO only, I think)

Edited by galileo on 25/04/2020 at 18:32

various - Smoke Alarm - concrete

Quite right galileo. My mistake, it is Carbon Monoxide and not Carbon Dioxide that is detected. Apart from the odd moment of forgetfulness whilst using the oven our alarms have never sounded in anger so I do test them fairly regularly. Better safe than sorry.

Cheers Concrete

various - Smoke Alarm - Engineer Andy

Quite right galileo. My mistake, it is Carbon Monoxide and not Carbon Dioxide that is detected. Apart from the odd moment of forgetfulness whilst using the oven our alarms have never sounded in anger so I do test them fairly regularly. Better safe than sorry.

Cheers Concrete

Easily done old chap! No chance in an alarm going off should you consume too many fizzy drinks! :-)

Another Benefit of being at home is I had to change the battery in my smoke alarm. I actually took the time to look at it a bit closer than usual. Manufactured in May 2004. Replace May 2014. Oops my bad. It still worked great when I burnt toast etc so I never paid it much attention. Well nice new one via that seller named after a big river and Its now sorted. So my message to you guys is please go check your alarms expiry date now. I didn't even know they had a replacement date. Stay well.

At least in your case, you only had yourself to blame (easily done - the same happened to me). I live in a flat on a 20yo development, where many of the smoke detectors/alarms in the communal areas were found to be similarly 6 years past their use-by date, despite them being checked (at great expense) by so-called 'engineers' annually.

That the property manager did not even get the expiry dates from them also now means, after we had a good deal of them replaced (again, £100 each total cost), I found that half those in the blocks where I am are going to need replacing in under 2 years, and despite some being reported as faulty (including the one outside my flat which has a backup battery that expired 6 years ago and only lasts in use for a year). None in my block were replaced.

Moral of the story - DO NOT TRUST CONTRACTORS - THEY REGULARLY LIE OR DO A SUB-STANDARD JOB. And to think I got flack from other residents on the Commitee for trying to be thorough and regularly asking questions about the quality of work and record-keeping about electrical equipment.

various - Smoke Alarm - gordonbennet

The alarms in the room where food is prepared regularly gets tested by mistake :-), it's one of those with a built in battery which i haven't (yet) dismantled to see if it is indeed replaceable, it senses CO as well though we only use gas for the boiler and that's situated in the garage anyway.

The detector in the hallway (bungalow) i test every now and again when i think of it, it takes three C2020 batteries, which at first it would get through in months, since i started buying good brand batteries via amazon those batteries have a lifespan in years, when the current batts fail i'll probably update the detector.

Purely out of interest, we followed advice and bought amazon basics AAA batteries in larger packs, they fit most remotes and the cordless mice we use, for the price they have a long reliable life, well worth trying a pack.

I always use quality brand rechargeable batteries for all my other battery-powered equipment like mice and the remote controls - newer mice are very low on battery consumption, mine lasting in the order of years, not weeks as they did in older generations of mice.

If I recall correctly, we're not allowed to use rechargable batteries in smoke alarms, and given the lack of the battery being changed in the communal hallyway unit, I wanted our new ones to have long life Lithium batteries that lasted as long as the detector (10 years), and thus would be warranted and would be replaced FOC by the provider/installer.