Hit a parked car - advice please - Lyndsay Allen

I accidentally hit a parked car in the gym car park this morning. It was very minor damage to the other car - my car has definitely come off worse

I immediately went into the gym to try and find the owner of the car. Once I had found him, we went back to his car to assess the damage. I admitted that I had caused a small amount of scuffing to the front side bumper, and asked him what he wanted to do. Did he want to settle it there and then, or get our insurance companies involved. He opted to settle there and then and so I offered him £150 for the damage, which he accepted.

There was another man sat in a car next to the car I hit (he saw me hit the parked car), so I asked him to witness that the other man was happy to accept £150 for the damage I had caused and that I was transferring £150 into the man’s bank account which he agreed to do (I didn't get the witnesses name, but I got his car registration number)

Everything was very amicable and the man was very understanding. My question now is have I done the wrong thing by paying him the £150? I took photos of the damage and got the man’s name and registration number. Will he still be able to make a claim against my insurance? Should I inform the police?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hit a parked car - advice please - Avant

There's a good chance that he'll stick to his acceptance of the £150 and not trouble you again - although it's possible that he could try it on and demand more, or perhaps find that his repairs cost more than £150 (in which case you should ask to see the written estimate).

If anything like that happens again, you should get something in writing.

For the moment, don't do anything. As no-one was hurt, there's no need to inform the police.

Hit a parked car - advice please - Lyndsay Allen

That's great! thank you for the advice and for getting back to me so quickly.

Hit a parked car - advice please - Leif
Well done for your honesty and I hope it all worked out.
Hit a parked car - advice please - Victor Ross

If he finds, his damages are more than £150, then it's possible he will call if you have been provided him with your contact details.

But it's always a good practice to have deal in a written statement so that you can use it as a proof.

Let's hope for good. Cheers

Hit a parked car - advice please - HGV ~ P Valentine

Its a good question, I know a mate of mine done that a few times in the mid 80's to save going through the insurance, I do not think you have done anything illegal, however I will point out that all insurance companies require a person to report all collisions, regardless if any damage is done or anyone hurt.

But it is quite popular for people to do this, I would advise you next time to get the garage to bill you direct next time and not hand over cash or promise of payment.