Renault - Mini Copper - Insurance Claim - TTMKENT
Hi,

If anyone could provide me with some advice or information regarding an issue, I’m currently dealing with would be very appreciated.

Back in January of this year, I accidentally scraped the side of my friend's mothers car. I was reversing backwards and miscalculated the distance between the two cars and caused minor damage to the car. This all happened on her driveway at her home address and the car was stationary at the time.

During this occurring, my friend saw it all occur. Immediately apologised for for to d to his mum, she was very understanding and accepted my apology. I spoke with her and told her I would pay for any damage caused.

I thought she would have contacted her Insurance straight after the incident or got a quote of how much the repair would cost, but nothing happened from that moment. I didn’t contact my insurance as I thought she needs to contact hers as damaged was on her car.

Fast forward 7 months now, I got messaged by my friend that his mum is due to get an upgrade / new car and they got a quote of £500 from her insurer for the damage caused.

I am concerned that I will get in trouble or difficulty with my Insurance provider as to why didn’t contact that immediately. My friends mum contacted me that she’s looking for a cheaper quote to get the car fixed. I haven’t been in touch with my Insurance I was waiting to hear back from them and then contact my insurance.

I’m just so confused about how to deal with the issue. I’ve never had to with insurance before regarding damages caused to a car or an accident. This my first ever dealing with an insurance company

I’m just worried I can’t sleep well it’s affecting me quite overwhelming. I don’t want to break any laws by this whole situation.

I’m still in my first year of driving I don’t want anything to affect my clean license.

Kind regards

Tim
Renault - Mini Copper - Insurance Claim - Gibbo_Wirral

You need to read your policy and see what it says about reporting accidents.

"Which" say yes.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/ive-been-in-a-car-accident-do-i-have-to-claim-on-my-insurance#should-you-tell-your-insurer-about-an-accident

Best thing would be to speak to the other owner:

Have they given their insurer your details?

If they say no, then pay up and be very thankful!

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 17/07/2019 at 14:35

I’m in regular contact with my friend regarding sorting out the car. They haven’t given their insurer my details. He informed me his mother was looking for cheap quotes to get the car repaired.

I just don't want to have issues for not contacting me insurer at a late stage even though it's been 6 months since. I was waiting for my friends mum contact me then work it on from there.
Renault - Mini Copper - Insurance Claim - FP

Somewhat irrelevant I know, but I did do a double-take at the thread title.

I made an error with the headline.
Renault - Mini Copper - Insurance Claim - 72 dudes

As you said YOU would pay (not your insurance) I can see why she wouldn't have contacted her insurance company.

The £500 quote may be from a main dealer or body shop, so contact a couple of of the mobile dent/scratch repairers, get some quotes in and pay for the damage as you said you would months ago. It's not complicated!

You are right to keep the matter away from your insurer, as I would imagine that being in your first year of driving, any claim would increase your premium by a huge amount.

She has not contacted her insurance company. She went to private damage and repair company who gave us a reasonable quote to get the damaged fixed.

And yes as it’s my first year of driving it would have caused so many issues for me. It’s all been resolved and I have made payment for the car to be repaired.

It’s a learning experience and I have learnt a lot from this.

Thanks for the advice and information.