Preparation charge - Luca_

Hello. I'm planning to buy a car from local garage/dealer (actually I've made a deposit already). I haven't signed up a deal yet, but it turned out that the MOT was about to expire and garage claimed to have the car pass it before the deal is made (not as an additional service, but as a part of the sale, as advertised). The question is - can I be charged additionally for any repairs needed for MOT to be passed?

Thanks,

Luca

Preparation charge - RobJP

If they want to charge extra, tell them to get lost. The price you have agreed is the price you will pay. If they don't like it, you'll happily have your deposit back and walk away.

Preparation charge - 520i

You've agreed to buy it with a new MOT, presumably? So it passing that MOT is a condition of the sale. If it doesn't pass, don't buy it. Do keep in mind though that most traders could happily get a one wheeled dustbin through an MOT, so it sadly doesn't mean very much. If they're already trying to use it as a means to rip you off, do consider carefully how much you want the car.

Preparation charge - barney100

If in doubt walk away.

Preparation charge - Andrew-T

If in doubt walk away.

Without the deposit ??

Preparation charge - Engineer Andy

If in doubt walk away.

Without the deposit ??

Well, the OP did say they hadn't signed anything yet. It would daft for anyone to hand over a deposit after being told what the OP has. If they did beforehand, then they should, in my (limited legal experience) view be able to claim it back as surely not being told would be against the law. I would suspect though that this would involve Trading Standards and or going to the small claims court, given the (IMO) lack of credibility and trustworthyness of the dealer.