Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - HGV ~ P Valentine

This is what happens when a car does the speed limit in Bognor, the driver of the hgv said it was too slow and tried in vain to get me to break the speed limit. Check out how far behind he is on the penultimate roundabout and how close he is at the next one. I say again bear in mind I was doing the speed limit of 50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ13M4j_ric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pINq2Z_WkZM&t=16s

The Video records in 5 min slots so its towards the end of the first one and beginning of the second one, or supposed to be,

Edited by 30 yr's a Professional Driver on 29/01/2018 at 20:29

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - FP

The HGV driver's behaviour may not be not ideal, though he doesn't seem that close behind, from the end of the first clip. Traffic always closes up a bit as it slows at a roundabout.

I'm not sure that your stopping and causing an obstruction to traffic (I assume that's what happened in between the clips) was a very clever thing to do, and not likely to calm the situation.

Looking at your post and the two clips I'm not at all sure why you have posted this.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - FiestaOwner

When I try the 2nd video it start 15 seconds into the clip. You have to click the red slider at the bottom to get it to the start.

Yes the lorry is too close. HOWEVER, despite him being too close you deliberately brake!!! Thought someone with your experience would know better!!

I'm with FP. Don't know why you posted this either!

I wanted to highlight the bad behaviour of some hgv drives, The speed limit on that road is 50 which is what I was doing, so the hgv driver was clearly speeding, as I said note the distance between us when he came of the roundabout, and note he caught me before i got to the other one., and he was on my rear bumoer* long before I started slowing down for the roundabout, and since he was still closing on the roundabout he was clearly taking that too quick as well.

Why post it here, I wanted to see what people thought, isnt that the reason why anyone posts anything on here.

As for me breaking there may very well have been a reason to brake which is why you are supposed to leave an overal stopping distance. Esp on or on the approach to a junction of any description.

Edited by 30 yr's a Professional Driver on 29/01/2018 at 21:52

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - RT

It's not for individual drivers to enforce speed limits, report the vehicle to the authorities and operator. Your method can lead to road range and/or accidents.

Anyway. ACPO (now NPCC) guidelines don't start legal action until 57mph in a 50 limit, so most HGVs will be driving on their limiters.

not true actually, the speed limit is not a guideline, it si 50 for everyone or whatever the number in the road sign is, and it was 50 on that road, so in any vehocle 51 or more is speeding.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - RT

not true actually, the speed limit is not a guideline, it si 50 for everyone or whatever the number in the road sign is, and it was 50 on that road, so in any vehocle 51 or more is speeding.

I'm well aware what a "guideline" means - you've got your work cut out if you want to physically enforce that no driver exceeds any speed limit, by any amount - but as I posted, it's not your job.

I agree on your point about me enforcing the speed limit and concede your point on that one.

I actually got done about 5 years ago doing 31 in a 30 zone and know of people who have been done for doing 1 mile an hour over the speed limit, as it is a limit - full stop.

Have we become drivers where most of us ( not me ) disregard the old basic rules of safe driving, some which are

staying within the speed limits, and treating them as a limit and not a target, is that why there are so many collisions in adverse weather conditions ? because we still regard teh limit as a target even when grip on the road is so much worse then normal.

have motorist in general totally abandoned safe driving distance, thinking distance, overal stopping distance, 1 or any combination of the 3 ?

You asked why I posted this, to open a debate on these questions between you all, my friends.

"... it was 50 on that road, so in any vehocle 51 or more is speeding."

As you were, briefly, when you touched 51mph in the first clip, at 3:58.

"As for me breaking there may very well have been a reason to brake..."

But presumably there wasn't, apart from the fact that you wanted to make a point.

"Why post it here, I wanted to see what people thought, isnt that the reason why anyone posts anything on here."

So now you know. And I don't suppose it's doing your reputation ("30 yr's a Professional Driver") or ego much good. Professional drivers can reasonably be expected to have higher standards than those who are not professional.

And it's worth saying this about dashcams: they may not make the point you think they make - they will reveal things about your driving which, on reflection, you might not want to be made public.

Edited by FP on 29/01/2018 at 22:21

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - RobJP

You appear to be deliberately 'brake testing' other vehicles.

Which is something that the 'cash for crash' scammers do.

God help you if there is an accident and they've got a dashcam fitted. You could well find yourself in considerable amounts of trouble, and charged with criminal offences.

if contact was made and a collison took place you might be right, however there was no contact and no colllision occured.

Anyway what would it show, show me doing the speed limit, it would show the truck behind me some 15 seconds behind but only 1 second behind before braking for the 2nd roundabout, which means he was clearly speeding, it also shows as I said he was taking the roundabout too fast.

Now let me ask you this, if someone had stepped out from the pavement, i dont know how many of you noticed there was a gate for pedestrians, but if someone had stepped out onto the road, would he have stopped in time or used my bumper to do that job for him ?

And also 1 thing else no one has mentioned he stopped so quick because he did not have a trailer, do you think he would leave a greater distance if he was pulling a trailer ? I think not ! In which case he would not have been able to stop in time.

Edited by 30 yr's a Professional Driver on 29/01/2018 at 22:51

anyway reports have been filed by me so I wil let you all know what if anything happens, consider this a test case, for everyone.

Also to see if the police really do prosecute drivers based on dashcam footage, or not. At the very least he is looking at a speeding conviction.

"At the very least he is looking at a speeding conviction."

Why so? You reckon it can be deduced by some calculations. The police are not going to prosecute on that basis.

"... it also shows as I said he was taking the roundabout too fast." - In your opinion.

Edited by FP on 29/01/2018 at 23:51

"... reports have been filed by me so I wil let you all know what if anything happens, consider this a test case..."

So what happened? What reports did you file, exactly? What was the response?

"... see if the police really do prosecute drivers based on dashcam footage, or not." So you sent in the dashcam footage to the police? Are the police prosecuting anyone?

"At the very least he is looking at a speeding conviction." Did he get a speeding conviction? And anything else?

Six months since you put up this stuff you must by now know the outcome. Tell us. If you can't or won't, it's another dent in your credibility.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - RobJP

You think you are in the right, everyone else thinks you are in the wrong.

Might be telling you something.

But you don't want to hear that. you are desperate to justify your own reckless actions, and will continue to do so.

It's the equivalent of a child sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting 'LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU'. You don't want to hear, so you've no intention of doing so.

If you think your actions were so wonderful, then might I suggest you send the video to the police, along with your name and address.

"... he stopped so quick because he did not have a trailer, do you think he would leave a greater distance if he was pulling a trailer ? I think not !"

Now you're guessing - or making assumptions. Really you have no idea whether the guy would have driven differently if he was towing and the point is irrelevant.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - Simon
I agree generally with what everyone else is saying. I also casually noticed in the second video that at 2:40 someone else is having to flash you because you have come to random stop again. That to me says your driving and attitude are most likely the biggest issues, not other peoples driving. I'll bet you won't share the forward facing footage from the same time frame so we can see exactly why you randomly brake and come to a stop on these occasions.
Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - Cris_on_the_gas

Perhaps reference to the highway code is appropriate here:

Rule 147

Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users, especially those requiring extra care (see Rule 204).

* do not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey.

Rule 168

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - Brit_in_Germany

If you are driving at the speed limit (actual speed not that indicated by speedometer) and you are being pressured by an HGV to break the law. there is not much you can do other than speed up or pull off to let the idiot pass. Legally you could make a call on your mobile to the police perhaps but they would probably not want to know.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - skidpan

If you are driving at the speed limit (actual speed not that indicated by speedometer) and you are being pressured by an HGV to break the law. there is not much you can do other than speed up or pull off to let the idiot pass. Legally you could make a call on your mobile to the police perhaps but they would probably not want to know.

That happens all the time on the M1 in the variable speed limit near us. At busy times they drop it to 50mph but if you drive at 50mph you have an artic so far up your ar5e you need to carry condoms. I have often wondered about requesting info via the Freedom of Information act about how many prosecutions for speeding and tailgating actually happen on this piece of motorway.

If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

When I brought up overtaking last year and suggested that drivers who close the gaps and force you into a dangerous situation were irresponsible I was told that it was me driving irresponsibly and overtaking dangerously.

Perhaps those people would like to comment again on this thread.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - KJP 123

The HGV driver's behaviour may not be not ideal, though he doesn't seem that close behind, from the end of the first clip. Traffic always closes up a bit as it slows at a roundabout.

I'm not sure that your stopping and causing an obstruction to traffic (I assume that's what happened in between the clips) was a very clever thing to do, and not likely to calm the situation.

I think that this comment, the first from FP, sums it up perfectly.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - Leif

Looking at your post and the two clips I'm not at all sure why you have posted this.

I agree completely. He wasn’t especially close, I experience worse on motorways. As for getting out of the car, it’s foolish and confrontational, and shows lack of respect for other drivers.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - 520i

Your driving is far more of a concern than his. He isn't tailgating you and presumably only came as close as he did on the roundabout because it was clear, he read the road ahead and anticipated you making progress rather than stopping to be deliberately obstructive. As for your antics afterwards, I sincerely hope that if you really have submitted this the police come knocking with a ticket for dangerous driving. You have the attitude and driving skills of a complete idiot. It might benefit you to consider that plenty of lorries also have a dashcam fitted, and being filmed deliberately causing an accident isn't going to sit well with your ego. Perhaps being rear ended and written off by a truck and then found responsible might encourage a review of your roadcraft.

Edited by 520i on 30/01/2018 at 16:55

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - Bromptonaut

Prior to this thread I'd assumed that your username meant what it said and that you probably drove LGVs for a living. On that basis I gave your views some weight, even if I thought you were sometimes a bit off the mark.

You've now completely flamed your credibility.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 30/01/2018 at 20:36

Actually he was tailgating, and I do drive a lorry so i know how far he should have been. I still drive lorry;s as I was in one all day every day this week and last, except driving to and from work.

I am not ignoring what you are all saying as was suggested, the fact is bad truck drivers use the size of their vehicles to try and force car drivers to either pull over or speed up, risk a accident by tailgating, why should they be forced to do either if you are doing the speed limit ? car drivers should and must be given extra consideration, and learner drivers even more.

i always give vehicles plenty of room and never crowd them in my truck.

Gottta hit the sack, I will read any further replies tomorrow, I have received notification from the police who are looking into the matter. here is the link fo anyone else who might have video footage that needs looking at.

https://webcontact.sussex.police.uk/asdprs/

Anyway 1 final point watch the vidoe til the end and see how aggresive he is at the next roundabout, you can see how hard and late he breaks on the final roundabout, this clearly shows he is racing that tractor unit to see what it can do/

Edited by 30 yr's a Professional Driver on 30/01/2018 at 22:30

I still drive lorry;s as I was in one all day every day this week and last, except driving to and from work.

What about the week before that, or the last month or two, maybe the last few years or even decades? Now that really would make you a professional driver. Post up the corresponding front facing footage so we can really see the truth of what actually happens, I bet a pound to a penny you won't!!!

Front cam not working only had the one at the time in the back

Front cam not working only had the one at the time in the back

How convenient.

Has it really took 6 months to think of an excuse?

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - James2018

Strikes me that if you are driving to the limit on the speedometer then you are probably doing less than the speed limit.

Every vehicle I have been in since I was able to check, using GPS on phones and sat - navs over - read the spead limit by about 5mph at 70 and about 3mph at 50.

I have often checked using different phones, apps and satnav devices in the same vechile at the same time as a passenger and the GPS speeds are invariably the same.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - Middleman

"I actually got done about 5 years ago doing 31 in a 30 zone and know of people who have been done for doing 1 mile an hour over the speed limit, as it is a limit - full stop."

You've said this before. Whilst I agree with your last contention, I asked you to tell me what force was contravening their guidelines to such a degree. You never answered. Just out of interest, how were you detected, by camera or by a police patrol? What was the outcome of you getting done? Did it go to court, or what?

For various reasons I have had contact with large numbers of drivers who have faced action for speeding. Apart from you, I have never encountered one who had action taken for exceeding the speed limit by one mph.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - Bromptonaut

For various reasons I have had contact with large numbers of drivers who have faced action for speeding. Apart from you, I have never encountered one who had action taken for exceeding the speed limit by one mph.

My experience based on nigh on 20 years of reading forums is that they usually mean they were 1mph over the 10%+ guideline and possibly adding something for speedo innacuracy as well.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - SLO76
As bus driver on a tight timetable there’s nothing more annoying than being held up on a clear road by someone in a car or van who thinks they are the law themselves. Remember an indicated 50mph in 99% of vehicles is actually closer to 45mph in reality and you as a professional driver should understand how frustrating this is. I’m not condoning tailgating but if you sat in front of me at an indicated 50mph (or 45mph in reality) when I was running late then I’d certainly be calling you every name under the sun. The only action I’d take against you however is to make a mental note of your car and take pleasure in never allowing you to pull out in front of me again if I get the opportunity which happens often enough on bus routes if I see a car I know will hold me up I won’t help them to do so while I would normally help others out of junctions if I can.

If you are unable to sit at a speed that suits the flow of that particular road then you are causing delays and encouraging other drivers to perform dangerous overtaking manoeuvres. It causes a concertina effect down the road as vehicles bunch up. Again I’m not condoning this I’m merely pointing out the truth and I personally would rather travel at an indicated 55/56mph (50mph in reality) on such roads to be considerate to those behind me. I certainly wouldn’t be brake checking anyone which is highly dangerous and also illegal, it’s classed as dangerous driving.

While we’re on this subject another pet hate of bus and truck drivers is the stubborn (usually old man) who insists on driving along motorways and dual carriageways at an indicated 55mph exactly and refuses to either slow down or speed up when a heavy vehicle approaches from the rear. It’s a nightmare to try and get past with either a long drawn out term in the fast lane holding other road users up, often interrupted by hills as said ignorant driver ignores your attempt at overtaking or settling in behind at a reduced speed and accepting that you’ll be adding time to your journey.

If you cannot sit at an appropriate speed which suits the flow of a particular road (remembering that your speedo is over reading by around 10%) then be considerate and either pull in every so often or help others by allowing them to overtake on dual carriageways by slowing down to 50mph to give trucks and buses room to get past. The drivers of said vehicles are usually running on a schedule, service bus drivers in particular who will have a timer on their dash showing them how late/early they are.
Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - J0HNuk

This isn't going to make me look good, but I hold my hands up and admit I was unbelievably stupid. I got flashed by a Gatso three weeks running (I was working in a certain town every friday) . Northumbria force.

I'm pretty sure the speeds were 31, 32 and 33. I wish there was some way I could check. It was 11 years ago and I've thrown away the paperwork. If the speeds weren't 31, 32 and 33, they were 32, 32 and 33.

I was offered a speed awareness course for all three but obviously I could only do one course, so took the £60 x2 fines and 2x3 points.

The course was very good. I'm sure there was one other person who'd been flashed at 31mph. Lots at 32.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - gordonbennet

People who drive for a living, or cover high mileages as part of their living, don't or shouldn't tail gate or push people, nor should they get annoyed with other motorists who maybe won't have the easy flowing driving competence that a more high mileage driver *should* have learned, and they should always make allowances for those who are unlikely to feel so confident on the road, especially those who think they have earned the right to call themselves professional drivers.

Now and again you will come across someone who tries to control the actions of other motorists, the one who deliberately baulks or slows others down is no better or worse than the bully who tries to intimidate someone into driving faster than they feel comfortable with, they are sad individuals and best not to get involved with them by reacting to their game, let them go their own way and move on.

As for speed limits, the second word is limit not target, just because a road has a X limit doesn't mean it has to be travelled at X nor at X + 10% + 2 over, it is entirely possible to maintain progress without sticking rigidly to the maximum speed allowed, if you ever see me on a 50mph average motorway forever roadworks section, you'll find me at 46 or 47 calibrated MPH on cruise control, because thats the average speed the rest of the traffic will be flowing at in their waves of 40 to 55 mph bursts.

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - Middleman

I’m not condoning tailgating but if you sat in front of me at an indicated 50mph (or 45mph in reality) when I was running late then I’d certainly be calling you every name under the sun.

So basically, then, as far as you are concerned, speed limits are minimum speeds that must be maintained so long as circumstances permit. Nobody must travel below the speed limit (bearing in mind that, whilst they must never over-record, speedometers under-record to various degrees which the driver, if he knows by how much, must allow for). There's no room on your roads for anybody who may feel it is more comfortable to travel at just a few mph below the limit. Or have I got it wrong?

Hgv V's Car - Speed Limit - skidpan

Personally it does not bother me if people want to drive below the speed limit. Its their choice and until it becomes law to drive at a specific speed its up to them to decide how they drive.

BUT

Those drivers should allow those who wish to drive at the speed limit to overtake safely. I have posted on here before that there are a large number who speed up when you attempt to overtake them and worse still there are also a number who when they are in a line of cars doing the same speed also close the gap in front of them to prevent the overtakers safely getting back in.

What do those drivers believe they gain from such dangerous tactics?