Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - meg ward

I bought a 61 plate, 34k miles last week. Put it in for a service yesterday and the garage informed me there are hairline cracks on the gearbox, but it's not leaking. They advised I take it back to the dealer I bought it from for a repair. The dealer are refusing as they say if it's not leaking then it's not faulty. They have said it is wear and tear and I should expect that on a second hand car. Is this reasonable wear and tear?

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - alan1302

Is this reasonable wear and tear?

I would say yes, it is. As the garage say it's not leaky and so not faulty. Would keep an eye on it though now you are aware of it.

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - meg ward

Thanks Alan. Should they have informed me of this when I bought it? Tbh I'd not have bought it if I'd known it had cracks in the gearbox, leaking or not. And now it's in my service notes, so not ideal if I want to sell it on

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - Cris_on_the_gas

Anyone reckon this would fix it.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p17590?table=no

I remember from long ago that BL developed a metal paste called Belzona.

Looks like it's still about

www.belzona.co.uk

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - corax

Hairline cracks in the gearbox at 34k? It sounds like there is a failure of the metal used in the casing. I certainly wouldn't call it wear and tear.

Thanks corax. What would you do in my position? The dealers are being very aggressive and are trying to get me to buy a 6 month warranty if I'm that worried about it

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - Andrew-T

Sounds strange to me too, and I would have thought a cracked gearbox would probably leak. If it doesn't it may not be seriously 'cracked'. Very unlikely 'wear and tear'.

Certainly try to find out whether the car has been damaged/repaired. And have a look at the MoT history (online), such a fault should have been reported if it has been thoroughly examined.

And no, I doubt very much that a trader would examine a used car to that degree - unless the gearbox IS leaking, which they might have noticed. But why didn't they service the car before selling it to you - you shouldn't have to do that straight away?

Edited by Andrew-T on 06/12/2017 at 15:02

Thanks Andrew. I did a history check on it before buying and it came up clear. I have all the MOT certificates and they're all clear. How can I check online?

The trader had it MOTd before I bought it, but no service. The last one was in June so guessing they didn't think it required one. I did the service for my own piece of mind. Glad I did now!

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - Andrew-T

Thanks Andrew. I did a history check on it before buying and it came up clear. I have all the MOT certificates and they're all clear. How can I check online?

If you have all the car's MoT certs you won't need to check online, but it's on the DVLA (gov) website - just google for MoT test history and enter the reg.no of your car.

My point is that a proper MoT test should be a more thorough examination than a simple oil and filter change, which may or may not look under the sump, depending on whether the old oil is sucked out. You should certainly get a second (trusted) opinion, but I find it unlikely that a cracked gearbox casing will not leak, or at least weep oil. [unless it has all drained .. :-( ]

No idea! I know hardly anything about car repairs!

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - elekie&a/c doctor
Are you sure they are cracks?More likely to be casting marks from the manufacturing process.I would ask for a second opinion.
Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - MGspannerman

You certainly do not need to buy a warranty as suggested by the dealer. This sounds like they are looking for an easy way out of their problem. Firstly any fault known to be present at the time of purchase would almost certainly not be covered. Secondly as you have just bought the car you are covered under the legislation (Consumer Rights Act) for a period of six months. Any fault emerging within that period is deemed to be the responsibility of the dealer.

With regard to the apparent crack in the gearbox casing. This sounds very odd to me, and if it is indeed cracked then a very rare event. If it is not leaking then I suspect it will at some stage. I just wonder if the vehicle has been involved in an accident that has caused undue stress of the drivetrain?? I would agree with the suggestion to get it inspected and checked out. I wonder if a vehicle report from a suitable engineer would be a good idea, this would then give you evidence to support a possible next step.

You have the right to reject the car within the first 30 days and obtain a full refund without deduction for mileage, wear and tear etc (you also have rights after that for the first six months, but this is the "golden period"). So whatever you do, do it now. The dealer will almost certainly argue strongly to the contrary, and from what you have said they seem less than customer friendly. If you are a member of the AA/RAC then they would most likely be able to assist with an inspection and legal advice.

I am not a legal expert but have been involved with the motor trade for many years.

Thanks MG for your advice. I did suggest to the dealer when I found out that I'd like to return the car and have a refund, but they have said this isn't possible as there's no fault with the car.

I checked the history before buying and nothing came up. I'll get a second opinion. Thank you

I asked the garage that serviced it if it was casting marks and they laughed and said no! Lol but I think a second opinion wouldn't be a bad idea

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - corax

I agree with MGspannerman. The first thing to do is to get a second opinion and find out whether there really are hairline cracks in the gearbox, I would have thought that with a defect such as that, it wouldn't be long before the casing broke.

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - CK91437

It's not wear and tear.

If it fails, it may fail in such a way that your gearbox fails completely.

Ask for a refund or it's a small claims court job.

Personally i wouldn't touch Renault.

Peugeot - maybe 40%, maybe not 60% . Ive heard their diesel engines are good.

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - pd

It sounds bizarre. Never heard of such a thing and I would get a second opinion if you're worried about it.

The selling garage are quite correct in that you can't reject it unless you can prove there is something above the norm wrong with it.

I would also take issue with the advice above that you can reject or ask for a repair on any fault within the first 30 days or 6 months. You cannot. It has to be something which makes the product (i.e. the car) below the standard a reasonable person would expect. With a used car which could be 3 months or 15 years old with 1k or 175k on the clock and cost £500 or £75000 the variables are huge.

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - kiss (keep it simple)

I would expect a cast item like a gearbox casing to last the life of the car. So I can only think of 2 scenarios

1. impact damage

2. Bad casting at the foundry.

Wear and tear? What could possibly cause a crack under normal use?

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - argybargy

On a personal level, and not because I know anything about the technical side of these things, the discovery of cracks in a gearbox would cause me sleepless nights and probably stop me driving the car until I was absolutely assured that the problem had been addressed by someone who knows what they're doing.

I'd agree with those who have recommended a second opinion. Do your best to make sure its someone whose opinion you can trust and who is independent of the garage who completed the service. You might have to pay for that advice, but it'll be worth it.

Edited by argybargy on 06/12/2017 at 19:24

I would also take issue with the advice above that you can reject or ask for a repair on any fault within the first 30 days or 6 months. You cannot. It has to be something which makes the product (i.e. the car) below the standard a reasonable person would expect. With a used car which could be 3 months or 15 years old with 1k or 175k on the clock and cost £500 or £75000 the variables are huge.

I think MGspannerman meant faulty as in (citizens advice own words),

'not of satifactory quality'

'not fit for purpose'

'not as described'

The car in question certainly fits within these boundaries if it genuinely has the problem discussed.

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - KB.

It's not wear and tear.

If it fails, it may fail in such a way that your gearbox fails completely.

Ask for a refund or it's a small claims court job.

Personally i wouldn't touch Renault.

Peugeot - maybe 40%, maybe not 60% . Ive heard their diesel engines are good.

How is it you're popping up advising others when, just a couple of weeks ago you admitted you didn't know much about cars? How do you actually KNOW, for a fact, that, in this this instance, it is, or it isn't, a case of legitimate wear and tear?

You've "heard that [Peugeot] diesl engines are good". So that is supposed to assist the OP with his query, is it?

On what, precisely, do you base your judgements about Renault and Peugeot? Is it solely on what you might have read here, or elsewhere or is it based on years of experience in the motor trade perhaps? No, it's not the latter, is it?

And what do those figures "maybe 40% maybe not 60%" refer to? Apart from the absence of the sentence making any actual sense it's an indication that you, in reality, are posting d***** simply for the sake of it.

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - MGspannerman

PD is quite right when he says that there is no absolute right to reject a car, as he suggests this is a relative judgement, and that of course is the devil in the detail. Who is to say what a significant fault actually is? Ultimately a judge. As Corax suggested I had in mind what I, and I think most others, would consider to be a serious fault in that the gearbox casing is said to be cracked. I think most people would further agree that this is sufficient grounds to reject the vehicle.

If you do have an inspection make sure it is by a suitably qualified person, such as the AA for example, and that they are prepared to put their findings in writing. From what I have picked up about the dealer I suspect they are likely to resist strongly any attempt to do this, in which case it could become a Small Claims Court issue. It would be advisable to take a friend with you when having face to face discussions to act as a witness and to temper any undue pressure from the dealer. BIg, hairy friends are particularly useful.

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - gordonbennet

The problem with gearboxes is that the casting is what holds the thing together its not a dust cover it takes all the stresses of gears trying to force the thing apart, you don't want to find twelve months down the line that an energetic take off from a set of lights exerts enough pressure on the already cracked (so presumably weakened) casing to split it wide open.

I'd be inclined to run it into the Pug dealer and see if they have a sensible mechanic who would have a look for you, maybe a smaller country type dealer, if one of their mechanics condemns it you would then have a better idea if an engineers report would be worth the expense, and assuming authur daley doesn't want to play ball then small claims could be your answer.

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - RobJP

You have the right to reject a car if it is faulty.

If the gearbox casing is intact, and not leaking, and the gearbox works as intended, then it is not faulty.

If you feel that it is faulty, and the selling garage do not, then an independent engineers report would be required to prove the case one way or another.

Thank you everyone for your help. I've got it booked in to an independent garage for a second opinion on Monday. If they also agree it's cracked then I'll look to get a report done.

I'll keep you posted!

Peugeot 207 1.6 hdi allure - Are hairline cracks in a gearbox acceptable wear&t - Gibbo_Wirral

Good for you. Its not "wear and tear" and I've no recollection of any other 207 owners on the Pug forums reporting anything similar.