Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - Alan

Why do some people indicate right to go straight at a roundabout.

Possibly a few are not sure which exit to take or change thier mind but I am sure others do it deliberately because they think it's correct.

I have even seen a learner doing it . Why.

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - Cris_on_the_gas

An indicator only indicates the bulb is working !

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - RobJP

An indicator only indicates the bulb is working !

THIS !

Or, as the classic joke goes "yes, it's working. No, it isn't. Yes, it is ...."

I assume that any indicator has been left on by accident, and has nothing to do with the proposed direction of travel.

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - Manatee

Can't say I've noticed that, but when people indicate a right turn at a round about (unnecessary other than for the lane change perhaps) I just wish they would signal their intention to leave the roundabout.

Many are the occasions when we defer to a car coming round a roundabout with the right indicator on, which then turns off before it reaches us, still signalling right. Idle, ignorant wassocks.

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - concrete

Always been a problem. Common snese dictates that if you are going left or straight on then you position in the left lane or to the left. If you are turning right then you position in the right hand lane or to the right of the carriageway. Not really difficult and shows your intentions. However we all know that some drivers will adopt any road position if they think it will put them ahead of other cars around them. All that effort to get 20 feet ahead. Crazy. As a previous thread about the taxi driver overtaking on a roundabout, some regard it as a free for all. The only answer is to have eyes like an outhouse rat and drive defensively. Self presevation rules. Due to lack of clear guidance signalling on roundabouts is taken with a pinch of salt. There are more rear end shunts because drivers hesitate due to lack of clear intention by other drivers on the roundabout. All a bit of a muddle really.

Cheers Concrete

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - Deryck

I see this quite often on a roundabout near home. It is a four-way roundabout and the sign shows the entry / exit at the usual 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions.

I see it when cars are travelling 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock, so I would not expect a right turn indication. The 12 o'clock exit is just beyond that - more towards the 1 o'clock position, so I wonder if it stems from the traiining that exits beyond the 12 o'clock position is a right turn and needs an indication. Only a local would know this as there are trees an bushes on the island blocking the view of the exit

BTW the third exit is no through residential road with not that many houses.

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - Hugh Watt

Are they usually wearing a flat cap?! IIRC it was recommended in the Highway Code 4 or 5 decades ago. Maybe it seemed to make sense in those innocent traffic-free times. Don't know why a learner would be doing it.

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - davecooper

There is a roundabout near me that only has exits at 9 o clock and 1 o clock roughly. Although not marked as two lanes approaching the roundabout, the road is more than wide enough for two vehicles. Everybody going straight on moves to the right hand side of the road. However, most people also indicate right to go straight on as it is then obvious to other traffic what your intentions are as there is no exit past that going straight on. This then allows anyone behind who is turning left to undertake. This is one of those situations where local drivers have come to a mutual understanding regardless of what the highway code says. Suffice to say that you should still signal to exit at the correct time.

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - ExA35Owner

There's a further twist with local knowledge and custom. One roundabout in Reading with exits at 12, 3 and 6 (yes, for U-turns), and with most traffic turning right to the 9 o'clock exit, has the local arrangement that traffic in the left AND right lanes turns right to the 9 exit. Works fine; must be surprising for visitors.

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - frankly

Are they usually wearing a flat cap?! IIRC it was recommended in the Highway Code 4 or 5 decades ago. "

I didn't know that, was it instead of sun glasses or summat. :-)

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - Hugh Watt

Are they usually wearing a flat cap?! IIRC it was recommended in the Highway Code 4 or 5 decades ago. "

I didn't know that, was it instead of sun glasses or summat. :-)

:-) !

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - focussed

"Why do some people indicate right to go straight at a roundabout?"

Either-

1 - Because everybody else does it, so they copy it.

2- Because, having no proper grasp of the correct rules of the road, they invent their own set of rules - it's called the "Myway Code".

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - Ethan Edwards

Thats nothing. ORB will know where in Colchester this is. Balkerne. There is a roundabout on a dual cabbageway. Where people without fail go into the left lane to turn right.

As a non local it seriously freaks me out but all the locals do it.

Weird or what.

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - argybargy

If you use the right hand lane there's always the risk, at roundabouts with multiple exits, of being thwarted from leaving at your exit by a driver on your left who refuses to give way.

You can negate that risk by staying in the inside lane...although by doing that, you then take the role of the "thwarter" mentioned above.

Indicating right to go straight on a roundabout - Wackyracer

Thats nothing. ORB will know where in Colchester this is. Balkerne. There is a roundabout on a dual cabbageway. Where people without fail go into the left lane to turn right.

As a non local it seriously freaks me out but all the locals do it.

Weird or what.

Do you mean the Middleborough roundabout on the A134 ? that's more of a staggered straight ahead as all the other exits are for car parks.