Well presented dealers - P3t3r

It has always surprised me how bad the car parks are at dealers. People buy expensive cars and then to take them in for a service/warranty work. They arrive at the dealer and have to park them in the tightest spaces possible and risk getting them damage.

I went to a dealer recently (think it was Ford) and it was very different. As I went in there was a long line of 'Demonstrator' parking spaces, which contained a good variety of vehicles. When I arrived at the front of the showroom they had huge spaces that would easily fit most vehicles. I was very impressed and would really like to buy from a place like this. Why can't more dealers do this?

Well presented dealers - badbusdriver

Unless it is a brand new purpose built place, they will have to use what space they have, which admittedly is not much of an excuse, but the premises may have been built years ago when cars were (ahem) a bit smaller than most cars are these days!. I know what you mean though, and oddly enough, it is my local ford dealer (Arnold Clark) which is the worst offender!.

You can say the same about any supermarket or shopping centre, it is in their interests to make the parking easy and stress free, but in my experience, most of them have parking spaces which are far too small for the gargantuan SUV's most people seem to have (or want). The two notable exeptions (and again, i am thinking about my area), are Lidl and Aldi. Could be a reason, apart from their prices, why they are so popular?.

Well presented dealers - galileo

Three times I have visited our local Arnold Clark, once taking a lady neighbour to buy a car, again when she had it serviced and again with her to complain about the service, on every occasion there were no proper parking spaces, maybe 150 cars strewn about, presumably for sale.

In contrast, the Toyota dealer opposite have at least 15 spaces marked out for customer parking, never had a problem finding a space there in all the years we had Toyotas.

Well presented dealers - P3t3r

Unless it is a brand new purpose built place, they will have to use what space they have, which admittedly is not much of an excuse, but the premises may have been built years ago when cars were (ahem) a bit smaller than most cars are these days!. I know what you mean though, and oddly enough, it is my local ford dealer (Arnold Clark) which is the worst offender!.

You can say the same about any supermarket or shopping centre, it is in their interests to make the parking easy and stress free, but in my experience, most of them have parking spaces which are far too small for the gargantuan SUV's most people seem to have (or want). The two notable exeptions (and again, i am thinking about my area), are Lidl and Aldi. Could be a reason, apart from their prices, why they are so popular?.

Most of the dealers around he seem to be pretty new.

Many supermarkets are better than dealers, but the local Aldi/Lidl aren't particularly good. At least with supermarkets they need many spaces but car dealers only need a few, increasing the size wouldn't cost much.

Well presented dealers - Energyman
Local Nissan dealer has standard tight places except for two larger spaces reserved for the directors who park their Range Rover and Volvo SUV there.
Good to know where there allegiance lies. At least gives the lowly customer something to aspire to!
Well presented dealers - Avant

I'm not so worried about the width - with some dealers there's nowhere to park at all. Usually they don't have 'for sale' stickers - they may be customers' cars, trade-ins or whatever just too many of them. Agreed - those which have designated customer parking usually have spare spaces.

Several times I've driven away from a dealer having failed to park. What a stupid way to lose a customer.

Well presented dealers - Bolt

I'm not so worried about the width - with some dealers there's nowhere to park at all. Usually they don't have 'for sale' stickers - they may be customers' cars, trade-ins or whatever just too many of them. Agreed - those which have designated customer parking usually have spare spaces.

Several times I've driven away from a dealer having failed to park. What a stupid way to lose a customer.

Funny enough most main dealers in my area are really bad for parking, except our local Honda, whom even have several disabled spaces as well. at certain times you can even park in the sideroad outside, they allways seem busy there so I assume the parking helps with sales

Well presented dealers - Andrew-T

<< Funny enough most main dealers in my area are really bad for parking >>

If it's any sort of normal place these days, almost anywhere is pretty bad for parking. If there are other commercial premises nearby it's quite likely people are overflow-parking on the dealer's space. Cars are all over the pavement round here.

There's a large secondary school a mile away beside the main road, which has a marked cycle lane intended to help the kids ride to school. At mid-afternoon it's completely blocked with cars waiting to collect kids - bad enough for vehicle traffic to get by, never mind bikes.

Well presented dealers - Bolt

If it's any sort of normal place these days,

Is there a normal place these days, most places I go drivers do as they please, and in some cases take no notice of police around at the time, parking seems acceptable by some even on crossing zig zags/double yellows, not that there will be much change(not enough cops about to do anything)

Well presented dealers - argybargy

My local Ford dealer has a rather silly one way system for getting around the car park. Everyone seems to ignore it, and it makes absolutely no sense to have it. Its a huge site, but finding somewhere to park there is like finding a main dealer who gives a decent part ex on a good car. The showroom is jam-packed with staff, but they always seem to have something better to do when you approach them for assistance. On the plus side, there are loads of flags and banners.

In contrast, the indy from whence I bought my B Max has a very small frontage, but somehow seems to be able to shoehorn in any visitors with a minimum of fuss, and the small office/ showroom is tidy and welcoming. Economies of scale have a lot to answer for.