Insurance & Selling Damaged Motor - 520i

Greetings all

One of our better neighbours has ended up with a damaged car and a private settlement, and wants to get shot of the car. Insurance appears not to have been involved, and during a recent conversation the subject of getting rid of it came up. My feeling is that the motor would be declared a write-off, as it has a shredded front corner - wing, light cluster, bumper are all dead, bit of minor damage on the bonnet, it's ten years old and worth about £2k. Certainly repairable I'd have thought. If he sticks it ebay as it is, damaged for spares or repair etc, what are his liabilities? Can he flog it privately and let someone put it back together at their own risk etc, or is there some sort of legal duty to have it checked and declared written off or otherwise? Incidentally, I gave him the 'you're supposed to tell the insurance anyway' speech already!

Insurance & Selling Damaged Motor - oldroverboy.

He sells it for spares or repair and makes sure that his bill of sale states that and insists on it being towed away on a trailer, fills in the relevant parts of the v5c nd posts it with proof of postage, but recorded delivery better for another quid or so.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 22/07/2017 at 14:35

Insurance & Selling Damaged Motor - RobJP

Agreed. It is sold as 'spares or repair', the advert makes this totally clear, and the receipt does too.

Insurance & Selling Damaged Motor - 520i

Thank you gents. So in general, anyone can buy a trashed motor and 'repair' it, to whatever standard, and put it back on the road without there ever being reference to any inspection or indeed declaration of the damage? A loophole indeed.

Insurance & Selling Damaged Motor - TedCrilly

Not quite.

The problems will start when the next owner tries to register it in their name, and tax and insure it.

One assumes of course the seller will return the V5 to the DVLC stating the vehicle has been scrapped before selling it.

Insurance & Selling Damaged Motor - focussed

"One assumes of course the seller will return the V5 to the DVLC stating the vehicle has been scrapped before selling it."

To get the DVLA to accept that a vehicle has been scrapped you need to present a certificate of destruction to them from an authorised treatment facility.

Insurance & Selling Damaged Motor - TedCrilly

If the vehicle has been declared SORN the DVLA will accept your word.that it has been scrapped or dismantled for spares.

Insurance & Selling Damaged Motor - pd

There is no reason why anyone should have any trouble registering or taxing it - as far as the DVLA are concerned it is just a regular car.

Advertise and sell it as spares/repair and as long as the seller can prove the buyer was aware of this just hand them the parts of the V5 as normal and advise the DVLA it has been sold.

As the damage is clearly obvious to the eye the buyer cannot argue they're not aware of it.

What the buyer subsequently does with it is, frankly, their concern. It is their car.

Insurance & Selling Damaged Motor - focussed

If the vehicle has been declared SORN the DVLA will accept your word.that it has been scrapped or dismantled for spares.

Yes but then after you have removed parts to sell on you have to take the remainder to an authorised scrappy.

If you are selling it on complete it would be the buyers job to do that.

www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written-off-vehicles

Insurance & Selling Damaged Motor - pd

One assumes of course the seller will return the V5 to the DVLC stating the vehicle has been scrapped before selling it.

Why would they do that? They are selling it as spares/repair - not necessarily scrap. The OP has already stated it is clearly repairable. If the buyer parts and out and scraps it is their problem to tell the DVLA.