Camping: not sure canister type? - fv43576

I am looking foward to my first ever camping in Scotland end of this month for 1 week, my grandmother gave me two of her gas stove blue Gaz stand but the gas were empty since in 1990s. There are two type of canister C200 190g super butane and C206 190g mixed propane/butane was include. So which is best for me? the C200 is hard to find now, would the C206 make any different to the C200?

how long is the 190 grams canister to last me? for 5 days cooking on morning and evening

I hope someone can help me

Fab.

Edited by fv43576 on 05/05/2017 at 17:08

Camping: not sure canister type? - galileo

Presumably you will be buying the gas from a camping/outdoor shop, usually such places are happy to give advice, just tell them what your needs are.

Camping: not sure canister type? - concrete

The gas you choose will have its own calorific value i.e the amount of heat per gramme from the burner. Any camping shop should have the cannisters you need. There are the disposable type which are punctured when you screw in the control valve, or the re-fill type where you swop an empty one for a refilled one. The connection on your stove should determine if you can use one or both. Take the stove with you when you inquire and you are sure to get what you need. Always carry two gas cannisters anyway, that way you will always have a spare if one runs out. You can also monitor the first cannister and see how long it lasts in normal use. Good luck and enjoy your camping. The West coast and Highlands are spectacular, but be warned if you go in July to September. The midges are fearsome and can ruin your holiday. Luckily on the coast there is always a breeze which keeps them at bay but in quieter parts by inland lochs they are a real nuisance. Check the websites for local information about the midges. Cheers Concrete

Camping: not sure canister type? - fv43576

Thank you I will

Regards

Fab.

Camping: not sure canister type? - Bromptonaut

These sound like pierceable cylinders. SFAIK C206 is the 'official' Camping Gaz designation for their own brand cylinders. C200 may be a generic 'pattern part' from another manufacturer. Be aware though that in eighties CG also sold small backpacker stoves called Globetrotters which were integrated with alloy billycans. These used a different and smaller cartridge (C106?) which is no longer supported.

Current C206 cylinders are Butane/Propane mix which perform better than striaght butane at low temperatures. Issue here is that the liquid doesn't evaporate quickly enough to support a vigorous flame. Although text books say this starts to occur around freezing point in practice it can happen well above 10celcius with 206 cartridges because the small cylinder cannot take up heat from the surrounding air quickly enough. See how you get on but for powering a lamp we've found versions using the CV series resealable cylinders less prone to chill related problems - more surface area,

Whatever you do DO NOT use a gas stove inside any tent, least of all a small one. A sudden flare can set your ternt on fire but much more dnagerous is risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

You should be fine with these stoves for boiling water, frying a bit of bacon etc but they're limited for anything more sophisitcated,.

Camping: not sure canister type? - bathtub tom
You should be fine with these stoves for boiling water, frying a bit of bacon etc but they're limited for anything more sophisitcated,.

A colleague managed to roast a joint of beef with one of these. He dug a hole in a sand dune, put the joint in a biscuit tin over the burner set at its lowest level. Came back to an incinerated joint and the plastic knob melted off the burner!

I reckon it was a miracle the whole thing didn't go BANG.

Camping: not sure canister type? - concrete

Bromptonaut is right. Be very careful where you use the stove for the reasons he pointed out. Frying and heating soup, beans etc is fine. Anything more sophisticated just use your microwave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers Concrete