Aygo 2014 - Old model - 1st MOT and keeping the same renewal date - Rumpole_Stiltskin

My car is going to be 3 years old in the next couple of months.

I know I can take a previous MOT certificate to a garage and get them to test upto 1 month before the due data and effectivly have 13 months leaving me with the same due date next year.

Is the same true for the first MOT if I take in my registration document or would I simply be given 12 months from the date of MOT inspection?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Avant on 15/04/2017 at 15:11

Aygo 2014 - Old model - 1st MOT and keeping the same renewal date - bathtub tom

You can get it tested up to a month early, I've just had my '14 reg done. I didn't need the V5 as they found the data needed elsewhere, but it could help if they're not on the ball.

Aygo 2014 - Old model - 1st MOT and keeping the same renewal date - RobJP

You can get it tested up to a month early, I've just had my '14 reg done. I didn't need the V5 as they found the data needed elsewhere, but it could help if they're not on the ball.

As said. The VOSA system should come up with the date of first registration, and automatically extend the MOT until the anniversary of registration.

However, do note that if you get the MOT done MORE than a month before it is due, then you will only get 12 months on it - it will not extend to 13 months.

Aygo 2014 - Old model - 1st MOT and keeping the same renewal date - Wackyracer

I had my first MOT done before the new computerised system and just took the V5 with me, as BT says they can probably see it all on their computer systems now.

Aygo 2014 - Old model - 1st MOT and keeping the same renewal date - RT

Note that it's 30 days, not a full month in many cases.

Aygo 2014 - Old model - 1st MOT and keeping the same renewal date - Rumpole_Stiltskin

Thanks all

Aygo 2014 - Old model - 1st MOT and keeping the same renewal date - RichardW

It's a calendar month minus a day so only 30 days for 5 months of the year! Seemingly if you present it on the same day of the previous month it won't be extended.

Aygo 2014 - Old model - 1st MOT and keeping the same renewal date - NARU

Only if the month has 31 days!

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/when-to-get-an-mot