Can I drive this car? Tax/Registered Keeper Query - David Beauchamp

Hi all.

The situation is as follows. I've purchased a car from a childhood friend. I need the car for work so was keen for a quick sale. He was fine with this but advised that he does not currently have a registration certificate as he is in the process of transferring registration from his Dad (the previous registered keeper) to himself. The registration documents are currently with the DVLA but I've got a photocopy. Naturally, I would never normally buy a car without documents but I have known him for 15 years and have no doubts whatsoever about his trustworthiness.

I have insured the car and put my friend's name down as the registered keeper but myself as the owner. I understand that under the new car tax regime, tax becomes invalid 'at the point of sale'. However, my friend remains the registered keeper and is taxed in his name so I'm not sure this 'informal' sale between friends counts. He is convinced that I'm good to go and I've got no reason to disbelieve him, especially since he's a special constable. He argues that I don't need tax as he's still the registered keeper and only when the new V5 comes through (which he'll then post back off again and give me the VC5C/2 New Keeper Supplement) will I need to worry about it.

Could someone advise whether I'm ok to drive this car? Many thanks for your help .

Can I drive this car? Tax/Registered Keeper Query - RobJP

Legally and technically, a sale is a sale. The goods have changed hands, and money has changed hands.

However, yes, you should be fine. The car tax remains valid at present, and will remain valid until your friend receives (and then sends off) the new V5. At which point you will need to re-tax the car.

If asked, the car is 'being loaned to you' at present.

Can I drive this car? Tax/Registered Keeper Query - SLO76
You can check the road tax status of the vehicle here www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

And change the ownership details here www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle

No need to wait on paperwork coming through the post.
Thank you both for your help, sounds like I'll be ok.
Can I drive this car? Tax/Registered Keeper Query - RichardW

Check the he taxed it when he took it over, as DVLA will count it as a change of owner and cancel the original tax his Dad had paid for....

Check the he taxed it when he took it over, as DVLA will count it as a change of owner and cancel the original tax his Dad had paid for....

Cheers, will do.