An elderly relative has a car on PCP but has been diagnosed with dementia and now cannot drive - where do we stand?

An elderly relative has owned a car for one year of a three year purchase agreement. During this year he has been diagnosed with dementia and is not capable of driving. The car is stored off road and the keys are locked away. I am a family member, but not the registered keeper and have no financial or other responsibility for the car or the purchase agreement. The registered owner does not wish to return the car and end the purchase agreement, however, no insurer will offer cover to a dementia sufferer whose licence has not been renewed by DVLA. Is there any advice you can give me?

Asked on 22 February 2018 by Richard Plant and Lisa Sutton

Answered by Honest John
You can only do anything with the consent of the owner. You would either have to get them to agree to getting rid of it, or prove they are not of "sound mind" and were not of a state to have agreed to the contract in the first place. Contact the lease company and advise the vehicle has been mis-sold due to this. They should be concerned enough to cancel the agreement. I fully understand the predicament you are in. You need to speak to a solicitor to empower you to handle your relatives affairs and authorise you as your relative's appointed representative. You can also raise a complaint with the Finance Company, then the FOS (ombudsman).
Similar questions
Could you please clarify what would happen at the end of a deal if the car is worth less than the GMV, who takes the loss & is the deposit still safe, With the large depreciation figures I have seen on...
Can you pay off the balance early without penalies with a PCP scheme?
How do car dealers decide on the figures when offering a PCP deal? How much depends on the length of the contract, the value of the car and agreed mileage per annum?

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer