Why can't I engage the gears in my 2001 MG MGF?

I have a 2001 MG MGF that can go into gear with the engine switched off, but I can’t get any gear with the engine on. What's the cause of this issue?

Asked on 2 February 2018 by Helen

Answered by Keith Moody
There could be a few reasons for this. First of all check that the pedal is free to go all the way to the floor. Does it return or does it stay flat? Check the fluid in the master cylinder cylinder - does it need topping up? Is it leaking? If all looks well there, then it could be that the seals on the slave cylinder have failed - effectively forcing pressure past the seals and seizing the clutch. If everything seems well, then it could be the clutch release arm.