Someone damaged my car but then refused to pay for the repairs - what do I do?

I was rear ended by a driver who admitted responsibility. The damage wasn't heavy and he asked if he could pay for the repair as he was in the motor trade and his insurance premium would rocket. We exchanged details and I sent him a repair quote which he accepted. He then refused to pay after the work was done. I made a claim through my insurers who said he was uninsured. I obtained driver details from the DVLA and reported the matter to the police - they investigated and said he was driving on a trade policy at the time, but can't give me the policy details. How can I find details of his insurers?

Asked on 20 November 2017 by drewbie

Answered by Tim Kelly
Issue proceedings against him directly through the small claims court is your best way forward, ask for his insurance details by way of a recorded delivery letter advising of the pending court action. Alternatively contact a solicitor or accident management company and they can do it for you.
Similar questions
At a recent family reunion, my friend's partner backed into my car in torrential rain - before I'd even moved - causing serious damage to my car. He shot off at great speed, driving in a highly dangerous...
I was recently sat stationary at a junction when a third party drove into the back of me because he was waving at another driver in a vehicle in the next lane. The third party produced an ID in the form...
I was recently stopped for making a food delivery from the kebab shop I work in. On the day, one of our drivers did not turn up so the boss asked me to make a delivery which was very late. As I was about...


Value my car