What used car can I buy that will be cheap to run?

I currently own a 2003 Audi A3 1.8 and I'm looking to buy something that'll be cheaper to run. I'm considering getting a MINI, but which model can I get for under £2000? Is it likely to save me money, and are there better alternatives out there?

The best small older car under £2000 is generally a Toyota Yaris 1.3, but there was also a sportier 1.5. Usually very reliable, though, as with anything, you could go in with your eyes wide shut and get a bad one. Huge chance of getting a bad one with a MINI.