My 2012 MINI Cooper has developed a timing chain issue - should MINI rectify this?

I purchased my MINI Cooper Convertible in 2012 and was delighted with it – it's my dream car. Last week, I heard a rattle when starting the engine and upon taking it to a garage, have discovered that the timing chain is causing problems and to rectify this issue (prior to the engine ceasing) will cost me £3000. I've had both the oil and filters changed at each annual service - less than 10,000 miles. Upon further research, it would appear this is a common problem with MINI, one which clearly was not explained to me when purchasing the vehicle. I'm astonished that a car just five years old can have an issue such as this, and wondered if MINI/BMW have in place any way to help with rectifying this?

Asked on 24 October 2017 by Jayne Phillips

This is a standard problem with the 1.6 chain cam engine in MINI, Peugeot and Citroen. If the car has been properly serviced always by BMW dealers, then you may have a case under the Sale of Goods six year "reasonable expectation": www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/