My Volkswagen Golf needs a new EGR after having the emissions fix - what now?

I had the Volkswagen emissions fix carried out on my 1.6 TDI Golf in December 2016. Today, I'm informed by my garage that my car needs a new EGR valve. I fitted a new EGR valve to the car in October 2015, a few weeks after buying it and I only drive 3000 miles in a year. Who is to say that in another year down the line, it won't need yet another EGR valve? The EA189 emissions fix is a bad joke.

Volkswagen is meeting the cost of any extra parts and work needed after the NOx emissions fix for two years after the fix up to a total mileage of 160,000. The Volkswagen dealer should have told you.