Spare key fob not working - do I have to go to a dealer for a replacement?

I've got a Mazda 6 hatch (2005 model) as my commuter car. Initially it only had one key - with a separate fob to lock/unlock the doors - but I have now been given the spare, with an additional fob. The spare key starts the car - but the fob is dead and won't lock/unlock the doors. Is it simply a case of replacing the battery in the fob? Or does it have to be reprogrammed? Do I have to go to the dealer for this or can, say, Timpsons fix it?

Asked on 9 December 2016 by Andrew Price

Local branch of Timpsons, or under Keys and Keyfobs in this directory: www.honestjohn.co.uk/useful-websites/specialists/
Tags: spare keys