Audi Q5 auto surging issue

I have a 2016 Audi Q5 and recently was involved in a serious single-car accident. I was parking my car and moved my foot to brake when the car surged forward over a couple of boulders through the trees flipping once and rolling down an embankment. I, miraculously, came out of the incident unscathed.

Three weeks earlier my brother-in-law borrowed my car and said I should have the car checked because it surged forward on him also when he went to brake. I dismissed his comments, thinking he just wasn’t used to my car. Turns out there may have been something wrong. I’ve contacted Audi Corporate, but wanted to check with others if this was an issue?

Asked on 12 November 2016 by PSA

Presumably this is an automatic. Automatics always have been susceptible to taking off if the engine surges for any of a number of reasons. The answer is to LEFT FOOT BRAKE. Then you are always fully in control of an automatic and at low speeds can stop the car dead within a metre. Most automatic 'accidents' come from drivers using the same foot for brake and accelerator, which is why they lose control.