Need a used car for towing a horsebox

I am looking to buy a second hand car on a budget of up to about £5000 with the primary purpose of pulling a horse trailer. Looking for something that can take 2000+kg but can also be used on a day-to-day commute - with pulling the priority. What would you recommend?

Asked on 3 August 2016 by Connor Suckling

The trailer weight forces you into a big 4x4. Most medium 4x4s in the £5k bracket aren't rated to pull 2000kg. But thinking outside the box, consider a pick-up. Most of them are rated 2500kg or more and Isuzu Rodeos can tug 3000kg. If you go for an Isuzu, make sure it has the chain cam post 2008 I-TEQ 2.5 or 3.0 engine.