Jaguar XF has developed rust - what should I do?

My 2010 Jaguar XF has developed rust bubbling on the boot lid. Unfortinatly I was unable to get it to my local dealer until last week, which is outside the vehicle's warranty period. However, as we know, rust does not just appear over-night, so the problem was obviously present for some time before the expiry of the warranty.

I've spoken to Jaguar and they're offered 25 per cent towards the £1300 cost of a new boot lid. I feel this is unfair. What should I do?

Asked on 9 May 2016 by Ray J C

You are not only outside the JLR corrosion warranty, you are also outside the 6 year period generally covered by various Sales of Goods Acts and subsequent legislation and case law. If you had attended to this matter within six years you would be in a strong position. As it is, you aren't. See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

My advice is to either take the 25% goodwill discount or, if you can get the work done for less than the Jaguar estimate minus the discount, take that route instead.