Discovered my car was in a serious accident - is the dealer liable?

I bought a vehicle from a dealer 12 months ago. The HPI check was performed and was clean. Last week I moved house and tried to change my address on the V5C; however, the DVLA has told me the car is a CAT B for scrappage. I contacted the car's previous insurer and they've told me it was involved in a serious accident in 2014. What should I do?

Asked on 27 April 2016 by sebiano

The dealer who sold it to you is probably liable because he must have known that it had been crashed and was legally obliged to tell you, even if he did not know at the time it was a Cat B, which has to be scrapped: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/