Why does my Nissan Almera wobble when I drive it?

I've just bought a 14 year old Nissan Almera 1.5 Petrol. It wobbles at low speed. Its not wheel balancing because I know what that feels like. But in gears 1 and 2 it just wobbles slowly. Stops slightly under load. No excessive vibration at high speed either, just a barely perceptible vibration. Any ideas?

Asked on 8 April 2016 by Herumph

These cars have vague steering anyway. Might be driveshafts. Might be joints or bushes. Might have too much toe-in so be possible to improve it with an alignment. Next step after that is to try the back tyres on the front; next after that, new tyres.