Why recommend diesels?

According to what can be heard and seen in the news diesels emit unacceptable pollutants that are killing thousands in the UK each year. If this is true, and I believe it has not been contradicted, why does the government continue to have favourable VED rates for diesels and why does HJ (and other reviewers)continue to recommend diesels over petrol?

Furthermore, manufacturers seem unbothered and continue to churn out more diesels. Are diesel owners taking the risk of getting their fingers badly burned should the government eventually deem the engines 'non grata'?

Asked on 17 March 2016 by colbee

I don't know where you are coming from. I don't generally recommend diesels over petrol and petrol hybrid and have spent the past 5 years warning potential buyers of the problems associated with diesels. However, it is a fact that if I drive a decent diesel and it performs well I will write as much. Diesel owners face the prospect of getting their fingers badly burned because of all the things that now go wrong with the kit attached to diesels to try to clean them up.