Rental car damage - am I liable?

I recently hired a Citroen C1 for three days. When I returned the car to the hire car depot the rep was there to receive the keys but did not invite me to look round the car with her which I had parked in the yard.

A couple of hours later I received a phone call to say the car had a scratch on the back of it. To the best of my knowledge I did not scratch the car whilst it was in my use. I have told the hire car company that she did not check the car over with me present but they are still holding me responsible for the damage.

My son was with me when I handed the keys to the representative therefore he is a witness that she did not check the car with me. How do I know where that car went after I left the car?

Asked on 10 March 2016 by Margaret

They'll have your credit or debit card number and you will have signed something that makes you responsible for damage so all you can do is threaten to sue them in the Small Claims track of the County Court for the return of whatever they deduct.