Private plate - is it mine?

I recently bought a high end car with an attractive (read expensive) registration number. We came to a price for the car (no mention was made about the plate) and the registration documents have come through with the same number into my name with no issue. Do I assume I now 'own' that number and I am free to retain it for my use on future cars?

You don't ever 'own' a registration. You only ever lease it from the DVLA on the DVLA's terms. But you have taken over the lease of this particular registration. If someone starts screaming that it is their's, it isn't.