Alternative to Golf SV - what's out there?

My current '04 Golf 5 has come to the end of its time at 151,000 miles. We quite like the look of the new Golf SV 1.6 diesel which we can get locally for about £21,500 and about £1,500 p/ex. Is there a comparable other make that is more sensible to look at which still has the same 'bells and whistles' that the Golf has? We quite like the slightly elevated seating which suits our increasing age and decreasing pliability.

Avoid the VAG 1.6TDI (too many recorded problems). Get the 1.4TSI 125 or 150ACT instead. The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer is an alternative.