Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

Can you recommend a dog friendly car?

I’m looking at purchasing a new car to suit all my needs rather than having two separate cars for different needs. My main requirement is to have the 'winder down rear tailgate window' option that the Land Rover Freelander 1 had, as I like this function for transporting my dog.

I know the newer Freelander 2 no longer has this option - can you recommend any other cars that have this function or similar?

Asked on 10 November 2014 by nikki0147

As far as I know, this feature, common in the 1960s, has now disappeared, because of the danger of drawing exhaust fumes into the cabin of the car, and also because of the weight.

What the police do is instal ventilators in the roofs of their converted estate car 'dog vans'. One answer is to buy an ex police dog van at auction (West Oxfordshire Motor Auctions). Another is to get a king cab or double cab pick-up and fit a 'Carryboy' canopy or similar to the load deck. There are some quite posh pick-ups these days: Isuzu D-Max and Ford Ranger probably the best.