intermittent starter problem

i have problems with ignition switching car on ok but not engaging starter on first turn of key , will engage on second or third attempt. This only happens after using car charger for laptop/ radio/internal light /boot light whilst car is switched off.It does not happen on every occasion when using power whilst switched off . The car is 2002 A4 1.9 Tdi 130 bhp

Asked on 7 August 2014 by john

The car battery is not up to the job of supplying current for your laptop, then starting the car. Use the laptop's batteries, then recharge the laptop from the car's 12v socket while you are driving along. Long term you probably need a new car battery before the winter.