Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

Why are cars provided without spare wheels?

My neighbour too has just faced the 'no spare wheel' dilemma when discovering his Fiesta Ghia had a tyre damaged beyond the scope of the supplied compressor and sealant canister. We had no alternative but to resort to my trolley jack, my spanners and my car to take the offending wheel to the tyre depot. Not too great a problem with the puncture occurring at home, but the day previously the owner had been in the wilds of Cumbria.

Asked on 16 November 2013 by WC, via email

Customer resistance to ‘no spare’ is growing. I had a similar disaster with a ‘tyre repair kit’ that proved unable to seal a small hole in October. But because the Fiesta has long been Britain’s most popular car, there are so many crashed ones in breakers yards it's easy and cheap to source a spare.