Why is Admiral Insurance increasing my premium after attending a Driver Awareness Course?

Last month, after a minor speed limit infringement, I elected to attend a Driver Awareness Course instead of getting the points (and I must say it was far better than I thought it would be). So far, so good. Today my renewal came from Admiral quoting £460 (£40 less than last year). So far, even better. Then, whilst glancing through it, I noticed that where it asks "any convictions etc. etc" it now also asks about ‘Driver Awareness Courses’ in the last five years, so I rang them.

My quote increased by £112 - close to 25 per cent. What's the normal minor speeding loading for a 64 year old with a previously clean licence, I wonder? I was told Admiral's view was that just because I hadn't been convicted, I'd still broken the law and was a higher risk. I said in my view I'd had half a day of further driver training and was safer. Through your column I would like to warn others about Admiral, and to thank their greed for saving me a considerable amount of money, as I have now insured with Tesco for £326.

For the last 18 months or so I have been advising readers to avoid Admiral for this reason. But obviously don't be stupid and cut off your nose to spite your face. If Admiral still comes out cheaper despite this outrage, then you'd be daft not to stick with them. The IAM and all other sensible road safety organisations are furious about Admiral's inane policy that removes any incentive to take a Driver Awareness Course.