Which economical petrol-engined hatchback do you recommend?

My sister aged 40 has just passed her driving test and needs a car to carry herself, her five-year-old daughter and her growing dog, so an estate or largish hatchback would seem to make sense. She will do local mileage only, so an economical petrol engine seems suitable. Finally should she buy new (with PCP) or used? What are the cheapest/cheaper options that might work for her?

Asked on 18 May 2013 by NM, Bolton

The cheapest new station wagon is about to arrive, called the Dacia Logan MCV, from £6995 new. That's about £5000 less than the next cheapest new station wagon: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/dacia/logan-mcv-2013/