Should I specify X-drive four-wheel drive on my new BMW 320d?

I am about to order a new BMW F30 320d auto Touring and am seriously thinking on including their new four-wheel drive system. BMW advises me it drives by the rear wheels and kicks in when the front start to slip/spin. Am I OK going with this or should I just get a set of winter/snow tyres? Further, I am wondering whether the system will cause excessive tyre wear and also knock the mpg? Your help as usual is much appreciated.

X-drive solves the worst of the RWD problem in snow. But the cars really need cold weather tyres in winter as well. I have driven the 120d X-drive and it actually handles better with less understeer than the RWD 1-Series. Very little fuel economy penalty, so well worth having.