Why are people being wrongly prosecuted for using mobile phones when driving?

The letter from CK about being accused of holding and using his mobile phone when he was not, reminded me of an incident involving my brother some years ago. He was driving with his elbow on the window panel and scratching his ear when he was pulled over by the police and accused of using his mobile phone. He politely explained that he was not, but the officers proceeded to write up a ticket. Their spirits visibly dropped when they asked about his occupation and he informed them he was a solicitor, but they’d started the process so they continued. My brother was so annoyed with the injustice that later that day went to the officers’ local police station to make a formal complaint, and coincidentally bumped into the officers in the car park. When informed of his intention, the officers immediately agreed to rip up the ticket and not proceed any further.