Which summer convertible?

I have just had to part with my much loved 911 SC 1983 cabriolet because it needs thousands of pounds of bodywork. I am considering what convertible to replace it with; my budget is £5,000+. I was considering a Honda S2000, Mazda MX5 and Porsche Boxster. (I was put off Mercedes-Benz SLK by indifferent reliability).

Asked on 9 May 2013 by Ian Dethridge

The Boxster could be expensive trouble. If it needs a new engine, for example, that's £12,000. Honda S2000 engines are considered bulletproof, but early ones did not have very nice steering. An MX-5 will be more fun, but the cockpit it tight. Avoid MX-5 Mk II 1.6s. Far too slow.