Are police cars subject to MoT testing?

From 1 January 2012 the MOT changed, requiring airbags to be present and working if fitted as standard. So what will the police do, as they remove front air bags from motorway patrol cars? I have also been told that some new police cars have the facility to leave the engine running without the key when an officer is away form the vehicle. Again this is not allowed as it would be "failing to control a motor vehicle".

Asked on 5 May 2012 by DF, High Wycombe

Actually, police cars are not subject to the MoT at all, which is worth remembering when buying a used police car at auction.