The rear seats on my Avensis feel too tight?

The rear seatbelts on our owned from new Avensis do not allow general movement in use unlike the front seatbelts.

Once set the belt tightens with passenger movement but will not release no matter how gently you try to do it. The only redress is to unbuckle the belt, return to the rest position and start again.

This is uncomfortable and does nothing to encourage rear seat passengers into proper use of the belts.

Our main dealer has checked them and insists they are working in accordance with the design.

Do you think this is correct and have you any advice on how they could be made to work allowing reasonable movement as the front ones do splendidly?

This as a function designed to hold child seats in place. The driver's manual should tell you how to use the belts.