Which Golf for a new driver in London

I'm a new driver now considering a vehicle. I narrowed my choice to a used Volkswagen Golf MK5, either the 1.6 petrol or the 1.9 diesel. My question is, which is the most sensible financially?

I've been researching and given advice between a petrol and diesel, so far, I'm still indecisive. I live in London and will be doing short trips, I estimate 6,000 miles per year. I've seen lots of information about petrols not lasting long, diesels benefit more if you drive over 10k miles per year and issues with DPF in diesel engines. I've been mostly recommended to purchase a diesel model nonetheless.

With your expertise, which of these Golf models would benefit a new driver financially? A VW Golf 1.6 Petrol or VW Golf 1.9 Diesel in London.

Asked on 29 September 2012 by David

A Mk V Golf 1.9 diesel will not have a DPF so will not have DPF problems. For more on Mk V Golfs see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-v-20.../