I've achieved nearly 45mpg in my Volkswagen 1.4 Fox.

Once again the subject of EC fuel consumption figures features in your pages. The official figures for my Volkswagen 1.4 Fox Urban are: Combined cycle 42.2mpg, Extra Urban cycle 50.4 mpg. On two recent long trips, one of 340 miles, one of 260 miles, with four people in the car and local mileage for part of the 360 miles, and a heavy load for half of the 260 miles, with two people both ways I got very close to 45mpg on both runs, using either Murco or Shell petrol, full tank to full tank. Not far from the official figures? Maybe it is using a light right foot that does it?

Asked on 30 July 2011 by EH, via email

Please don't write to me about your mpg. Please log it in www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg as that is where it is most useful to everyone. (Find your car, then use the box at the bottom of the section to enter your car's mpg.)