Crumble zones

Over the past 30 years I have been lucky to own 12 Mercedes. I bought my current 320CLK new in September 2002. Before it was 2 years old, the front of the car was resprayed under warranty, due to paint defects. I was about to change the car 3 years ago but unfortunately I was diagnosed with cancer of the eye. Three years later after radiotherapy and 3 ops I am still living and I would like another Mercedes, as the car has now covered 85,000 miles.

However, on close inspection there is extensive rust over both the rear arches and even 3 points of bubbling paint on the boot lid. MB customer service repeats the mantra of over 8 years old, which is fair enough, but do these cars have a history of rust problems and is Mercedes entitled to close its eyes if there is an existing paint problem?

Worst period in MB's history was from about 1997 to about 2003. MBs built during that period rust more badly than any other cars.
Tags: rust corrosion