Will I need to get a biometric passport before I can be issued with a photocard licence?

I was interested to read GG's letter about his licence problem, as I will have to renew my own driving licence in 2013 when I am 70 years old. I passed my driving test 50 years ago when I was 17 and still only have a paper licence. I do not have a passport - will the DVLA would expect me to take out a biometric passport before they will issue me with a photocard licence? Please note that I have a good driving record, have regular eye tests and keep up to date with the Highway Code.

Asked on 24 December 2010 by PG, Birmingham

No. You will just have to go through the onerous rigmarole of having a qualified person such as your GP who has known you for years verify that the passport photo you send to the DVLA is actually you. But if you are ever considering any foreign travel (broadens the mind), getting a passport first makes sense.