When should I worry about my BMW 320d Touring going wrong?

I have a BMW 320d Touring new in Sept '08 & dealer maintained throughout its 62,000 miles. It's the best car I've ever owned (great to drive, never let me down and averaged 45.5 mpg since new). But I've never kept a car longer than 2 years before (a sign in itself of how good it is) which leaves me with two quandries;

1. How far can I push it (mileage/age) before expecting turbo, exhaust, fly-wheel or any other failures? (Regular use is 50 mile commute - 30 on M62/20 in urban crawl). I'm self employed and no car = no work = no pay.... reliability is everything.

2. I've got used to my panoramic roof, sat-nav, xenons, leather, etc. but I gulp at the idea of c£40k to replace it with a new 3 with equivalent options. Would a Peugeot 508 SW Allure or GT be a good alternative or do I need to accept you get what you pay for?

Asked on 7 November 2011 by MP, Halifax

1) See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/3-series-e90-200...d

2) 508 diesels are belt cam. The nicest engine in them is the chain cam petrol 1.6 THP 156. No idea what reliability will be like.