Deciding between a petrol and diesel

I am in the process of buying a second hand car, my main objective is to purchase one that is cheap to run with good MPG and low road tax. At first I was looking at diesel cars as they seem to be more economical as far as mpg & car tax go but after speaking to my mechanic he put me off that idea due to my driving.

I travel approx 10 miles to work each day, mainly round country lanes and he said if I had a diesel car I would have trouble with the particle filter. Could you suggest a petrol car that will give me good mpg and cheap road tax?

He's right. You need a small, economical petrol engined car. Far less trouble. Any extra cost of fuel is buttons compared with repair costs of a diesel. And a KIA Picanto 1.2 is free tax.