How to handle an accident insurance claim.

My 17-yr old son (recently passed) was driving my Seat Ibiza 1.2 and was hit from behind at approx 35mph. Damage is to the rear bumper and the other driver has admitted liability.

My son has no whiplash injury and I do not need a hire car. The repair can either be handled by my insurance company and they will claim the cost of repair back, or through the third party's insurance, in which case my insurance company will close the file and have no further involvement. Which is the best route to take when considering my son's driving record and future insurance?

Asked on 16 August 2011 by Jo Hudson

Answered by Honest John
Either route will lodge a claims against him and will increase his next insurance. But obviously better if the third party insurer pays.

Similar questions
My son recently had an accident with his first car. The other driver admitted liability and his insurance agreed to settle the claim. Unfortunately the car was deemed 'uneconomical to repair' and an offer...
I not so recently was involved in a crash with another car insured by the same company at a nearby roundabout. The following day, having reported the details on my return home, the insurer contacted me...
Coincidently my mother-in-law (aged 80) and I are both insured with Saga/Acromas (fully comprehensive) and recently had our cars damaged in separate incidents by other drivers. In my case my 1999 MX-5...
Related models
More interesting looking than a Polo. 1.8 petrol turbo FR good fun.

Value my car