Ford Fiesta EcoBoost cam belt failure, can I claim?

I have a 2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost. In October 2020, at 37,000 miles, it was fitted with a new engine free of charge by Ford because there were apparently engine cooling issues with their engines.

This week, less than two years later, and less than another 10,000 miles later, the cam belt has failed leading to the ruin of the engine. It is apparently going to cost £7,000 to £8,000 to replace the engine and Ford will not consider paying for it. This seems extremely unfair when their cam belt is supposed to be good for over 100,000 miles.

The worst of it is that the car was leased on a business lease and only 4 weeks ago we paid £7,400 to buy the car. I can hardly believe the terrible luck!

We have had the car regularly serviced at a Ford garage.

I would be very grateful for any help or advice on this matter.

Asked on 24 June 2022 by Sarah George

This generation of Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost experienced a serious problem with the turbo degas pipe, which resulted in some cars overheating and becoming damaged (with Ford replacing the engines).

That said, after just 10,000 miles, the cam belt should not have failed. The EcoBoost cam belt runs in oil and is designed to last 10 years or 100,000+ miles. If the vehicle has been serviced in accordance with Ford's maintenance schedule then I would argue the failure is caused by a manufacturing defect within the replacement engine.

Your consumer rights are against the company that sold you the car. This means the business lease company is responsible for putting this right or giving you a refund.