Do I renew the timing chain?

I have a Hyundai ix20 1.6 diesel active which, I believe, has a timing chain as opposed to a belt. I always understood that timing chains were generally expected to last the life of the engine. A neighbour of mine recently told me it should be replace between 80,000 and 100,000 miles. I tend to buy my cars new/virtually new and run them until repair costs become uneconomic. This car has been a reliable workhorse and is about to turn 80,000 miles.

What is the general advice about when to change its timing chain please?

Asked on 3 January 2022 by Fortyman

You are correct, timing chains are indeed designed to last the life of the car. But as with all things in life, sometimes things go wrong.

Timing chain problems are, in my experience, usually linked to poor maintenance. If the oil isn't changed regularly, for example, sludge can build and cause problems within the chain, guides and sprockets.

Timing chains can also suffer wear over time, which causes the chain to sag, stretch or break. That's why it's always a good idea to have it checked at five or six years by a qualified mechanic (as part of the annual service).