Should we buy a hybrid car?

Should we buy a hybrid vehicle now or wait for technology and prices to improve? We are considering the Kia Sorento Plug-in Hybrid, but the price is almost double what we would pay for a Skoda Kodiaq petrol equivalent.

Asked on 6 December 2021 by Gillian Marsh

Plug-in hybrid models are expensive compared to equivalent petrol cars. They make a lot of sense for company car drivers who save money in tax, but not all private buyers will benefit enough to justify the price. Can you charge at home and do you cover a lot of short journeys? If so, you'll be able to save money on petrol by travelling under electric power a lot of the time (the Sorento PHEV has a 35-mile electric range). Consider whether you cover enough short journeys to justify the price hike – and how important the improved refinement is to you.