Can you give me some advice on buying a secondhand electric car?

I always used to ask my dad these questions but sadly he passed away last year. I'm looking at possibly buying a secondhand Renault Zoe and wondered if the battery life would be affected with age. I don't know enough about them and would just appreciate any advice you can give me. I have always had Nissan Micras and love them, but I feel I should move towards the electric car. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. Many thanks.

Asked on 5 August 2021 by Jennifer Scott

Early Renault Zoes had an official range of up to 130 miles. This is under the old NEDC tests, though, which means the real-world figure is likely to be considerably less. EV batteries do degrade over time, although not as much as initially expected. In reality, you're probably going to be able to travel 60-80 miles from a charge – fine for town use, but not ideal for longer journeys. Tread carefully, too, as many early Zoes were offered with battery lease deals. That means you don't actually own the battery. That could be a good thing as you can have the battery replaced if it's faulty, but equally, you could be lumbered with a monthly bill. When looking at secondhand Renault Zoes, you'll need to ask the question about whether the battery is included. If it's not, you might be able to buy the battery by contacting Renault Finance.

If you don't feel ready for an electric car, don't feel pressured into it! We'd only recommend them for people who cover lots of short journeys and have the ability to charge a car at home. If you're not confident that it's the right move, a small petrol car will still make a lot of sense.